SafeWork NSW safety blitz to focus on food establishments using LPG cylinders

SafeWork NSW will soon conduct a blitz on the food industry after a Marrickville baker was critically injured last week.

The 32-year-old man suffered serious burns to his face, neck, and arms following an explosion at the bakery when he tried to light a portable gas burner.

The blitz will target restaurants, cafes, and bakeries using LPG cylinders.

“All portable gas appliances must be certified in accordance with Australian Standards and approved by a certifier accredited by NSW Fair Trading,” said SafeWork’s Director of Hazardous Chemical Facilities and Safety Management Audits, Meagan McCool.

“The use of this equipment indoors puts workers and customers at risk of fire, explosion, and asphyxia.

“Businesses should only use them in well-ventilated areas, regularly check for leaks and avoid storing them indoors.”

Ms. McCool said many businesses are ignoring safety by importing portable gas appliances from overseas.

“These imported appliances do not comply with Australian standards and have not been approved by a certifier accredited by NSW Fair Trading,” she said.

“SafeWork is acting now to stop more workers getting injured and prevent customers’ lives being put at risk.”

The post SafeWork NSW safety blitz to focus on food establishments using LPG cylinders appeared first on OHS News.

OHS News

Written by

No Comments Yet.

Leave a Reply